Skip to main content

You Should Be Dancing Utah!

So I do apologize for taking so long to blog about this big event.
As many of you know, I am in love with Zumba! Back in May I was invited to this "event" that at first I had no idea what it was, and I was debating on buying the ticket. I thought about it and it took me about a minute to realize that, not only did I want to go, but I needed to go. I knew I would not regret this decision, so I went forth and bought the all day pass. As I read more about this wonderful happening, I became more excited and began to mentally and physically prepare myself for this long day of just dancing. The creators of it, love how Zumba has changed many lives, mine included, and wanted to promote a fun and healthy way of living. They did a great job, and to be honest, I loved every single minute of this day.
I am no dancer, I have always been a little shy, and usually I stick to myself to let my emotions out. Well, two years ago my wonderful cousin, Jamee Keverm,(please everyone come try her class!!!) invited me to her class that just became certified for, I thought why not. I knew that after that one class I could change my ways. Two years later, I am still shakin' it and I love it even more than I did before. I am not outgoing, and love letting my emotions come out through my little Zumba attacks. It is now a part of my life, and if you know me, you know that I will randomly break out in dance mode. If you watch closely enough, you will learn some of my Zumba moves. Basically, this has brought out the best part of me, and I know it is embarrassing, but I am in the best shape of my life because of it.
A few weeks ago, I was at my cousin's Zumba class, when she asked me if I would be interested in going up on stage with her and some of the other girls from class to show off our moves. I was hesitant at first, this is where my shy mode kicked in, but then I said yes. I am sure glad I did, for this was one of the best parts of the night.
This thrilling adventure was at UVU in the events center, and the whole thing started at 7 am. Even though I had to wake up a little earlier that I wanted to on a Saturday morning, I woke up and got ready! I was beyond excited for this day, I wanted it to be fun, memorable, and bright. I even did my make-up fun and put on these sweet fake eyelashes. With my bright clothes and shoes, I headed down to Orem, and started my day with Zen Yoga. Wow! I felt so refreshed and this truly was the best way to start my day. I had forgotten how many muscles you have to use in yoga, yes I was sore after, but in a good way. A few hours later, more people arrived for the rest of the events for that day. I was able to participate in many different types of Zumba classes with amazing instructors. I was even able to take a class from the world know Kass Martin. She has got the moves! (For those of you who don't know her, she is the lady who is on the Zumba workout for X-box that you see on the screen. She has made up many concrete dances for all Zumba lovers around the world.... she is awesome!) Anyway, her class was fun and sweaty. Before we started our hour of her class, she gave her three rules of Zumba that I thought I would share: 1- Get loud 2- Have fun and 3- Sweat hard!! I followed those rule and went full out sweating, having fun ,and occasionally letting my heart out.
My next favorite event of the day was taking a Hip Hop Hustle class. Oh my! For those of you who don't want to read, please skip down to the next part now...
I LOVED THIS CLASS! Everything was loose and we sure did drop it low and shake all that we had! The instructor (Shukria Stewart...aka "Shoes") for this class had such a charismatic spirit and showed her love for dancing. She showed us a few moves then, she taught us a routine that I still smile about, and yes I still remember it. I loved her point of view on how to stay healthy and how your wellness of your body can affect your whole life. She was very inspiring.

After coming back from a "dinner" break, and changing my clothes, I was ready for what came next. Hot Hula! I didn't believe that it would be hard or that I would be sore afterward... boy was I wrong. This was not related to Zumba, but just moving my hips like those awesome hula dancers do, and keeping my arms up for almost 45 min, I was extremely sore. I enjoyed this class, even though it was not as fast as Zumba, I liked it, and now I know it is a full body workout! Once this class ended, the doors opened for the rest of the night. This is where the best Zumba instructors came on stage to show off their moves.

This was the highlight of the night. There were so many people and I loved to see my Zumba family. At first I was taking it easy, I had three more hours of dancing ahead of me, after being there all day and sweating, drinking lots of water, and eating protein bars, I didn't feel too tired. I was expecting to dance on stage one time with my cousin. Well, a friend of mine (Ellynore Banks) who has the best story ever, who became an instructor herself, invited my small Zumba family to dance on stage with her. Heck yeah I did it! I had no idea what I was doing, on stage was my first time ever doing this routine, but, I loved it and supporting her was even better, this was her moment, and Elly you did awesome! A few songs later, I was practicing the routine I knew with my cousin. My butterflies started to kick in, then went away as soon as I got on stage.
 
 

Wow! I had the time of my life this night! I was so exhausted, that I left a little early so that I could make it home without falling asleep. The next morning it hit me. I was so sore, I could barely walk, my muscles had done me well. I figured I danced close to 15 hours in one day. So if I wasn't sore, I must be crazy. I sweat so much that I lost about three pounds and I felt great! I had so much fun, I can't wait until they do this again! I LOVE ZUMBA!
Please come to my cousin Jamee Kevern's class! I promise you, you will not regret it! She teaches in Sandy at Quickstep Dance, 9524 S 500 W, Monday and Wednesday nights from 8:30-9:30 pm and Saturday mornings at 8 am. Your first class is free, and then it is either $5 per time or $40 for a 10 punch pass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The journey of my new smile...

I felt like blogging about the journey of getting my new smile. Oh boy! It sure has been a long, painful, and exciting process. In May of  2000 I was riding my bike, like a big girl (I was 8) with a bunch of my siblings and cousins, to my grandma's church (which was just down the street from where she lives. Staying on the side of the road as instructed, there was a man hole cover that was not pushed down all the way. Being toward the back of the bike line I didn't notice that it was up about three or so inches. Everyone else had dodged it and went around it. I, going full speed to keep up went straight over it and flipped over my bike handle bar, bike still in hand I landed on my stomach. I got up, a little dizzy and discombobulated got up thinking that was pretty sweet that I survived that epic crash. I didn't know how bad it was until my sister Kelsey started screaming "Kacey! Kacey! You have blood running down your face!" I immediately put my hand to my face a

10 years going strong!

Friends! I am dedicating this post to my upcoming 10 year Anniversary with Type 1 Diabetes. I would like to share my story, for some it may make you cry, others it will hit home, and for some I know you will read the title and not get what you expected. But please I ask you to read so that you know where I stand. Ten years ago on August 5, 2003 my mom took me to see my Pediatrician. We went in there together and came out with news no one expects to hear. To be honest I thought it was a great way to get out of school, but after I received the news I would have taken school back. We went in not knowing what to expect, however everyone who knew me, knew that I was sick. I was in the 6th grade and lost 20 pounds in a short period of 2 weeks. I was literally a walking skeleton at less than 70 pounds. My cheeks were sunk in, the rose color that was naturally on my skin was gone, and there were dark circles around my eyes. I had no energy at all. To get up to my room (at the time) I had to

19 going on 20!!

Well, I'm super excited to no longer be a "teen"! Even though it's not that old, I feel old! So much has happened in 20 years. A little bit ago I have had the opportunity of where I was all by myself and I was flooded with memories. I have been through a lot but I believe that is was not to torture me, to make me cry or even hurt me. I believe that because of all the things I have gond through, I am the person I am today. I look back at who I was, just a year ago, oh how weak I was, getting hurt by silly things, crying for pointless things, and still... very childish. Although I will always be young at heart, I look at myself now, and see the exact oppostie. I am much stronger than I used to be both physically and mentally. Yes I still cry, but it's different now. I have had to grow up a lot over the last little bit, and I have never been more grateful. Recently I had a conversation with  a really good friend of mine. It made me realize, I'm pretty lucky! So