Skip to main content

Poppy's Birth Story

I can't believe I am writing this. Having Poppy seemed so surreal until I was in labor and then holding her. Having a second baby, especially our Poppy Rae has been a huge blessing and I can't wait to see what our future brings. I hope you can enjoy her birth story, it's very different from Evie's.

October 21, 2019 (36+4)
I had an NST in the late afternoon, and Poppy passed with flying colors, giving results very quickly. I had felt off the whole day, but powered through, as I thought it was just the end of being pregnant. I was extremely tired, I had a headache, I was contracting, and I felt like I could throw up at any moment, not to mention right upper rib pain, and low blood sugars. I made dinner and still tried to do things that I knew I didn't have the energy for. Spencer got home later than usual that night and I knew as soon as he got home I should call my doctor to see if I should go in. Sure enough, they wanted me to come in. We dropped Evie off at my parents and headed to Labor and Delivery. I was checked in to Triage and they did a ton of labs and hooked me up to the monitor to watch baby. I could barely function as my blood sugar was decreasing by the minute and it became scary. I requested juice and for whatever reason, Poppy did not like that and her heart rate slowed. A few nurses and a resident rushed in and adjusted me to get her heart rate back up. They decided to check my cervix at this point. Cervix was very posterior but I was thinning out. Her heart rate came back up but my blood sugar was not. So I was hooked up to D5 (sugar water) to help and my actual doctor said to watch close as we might have to be induced that night. Two hours later, my cervix was checked and I had dilated to a 1.5 and 60% effaced. The resident said she would call my MFM and see what the plan should be as my blood sugars were still unchanged. About 30 minutes later, we were told that we were going to have Poppy that night. Spencer and I just looked at each other and started laughing. They asked if we were ready, and I mean of course we were, but then again, it was still early. We opted to wait to see if any more change would happen. At 2am we checked into a Labor and Delivery room, I had a new IV put in, just in case I was going to have a c-section, and contractions increased. Every two hours after that, I had my cervix checked, I wasn't allowed any food or any water. After three bags of D5, my blood sugar was stable, contractions stopped, and I had stopped dilating, although I was 70% effaced. It was established that I was no longer in labor and that I could eat as no more changes had been made. I ate, and stayed there for another hour and they discharged us. I was a little sad, because they had said several times that I would get to meet Poppy that morning. They said to take it easy for the next few days and keep her cooking a little longer.

October 24, 2019 (37 weeks)
I had an NST and a doctors appointment this day. Poppy girl had dropped real low, and I was super uncomfortable. During my NST, I found out my fluid levels had decreased by half since Monday and baby was right on my cervix (and bladder). My doctor was joking and said, "Well, I would be surprised if you make it to Halloween (scheduled induction date), but let's try to keep her in there." Everything looked perfect and they sent me on my way. When I got home, I had a burst of energy, cleaned some rooms and finished making some meals for when Poppy did come. I actually felt really great this day and was happy Poppy didn't come at 36 weeks. Evie kept telling me, "Mommy, baby sister is coming tomorrow!" She literally said this  5 or 6 times. I should have listened to her.

October 25, 2019 (37+1)
I woke up to contractions and no motivation. What a difference a night can make. I had a list of things I needed to get done but didn't want to do any of them. I made it grocery shopping, with what felt like a bowling ball in my crotch. I had started timing contractions and all day they were 8-12 minutes apart and lots of pressure. I came home from the store and did laundry and felt completely wiped out. I laid down with Evie to take a nap and woke up to contractions again. Around 1 pm I emailed Spencer saying that Poppy would be here either tonight or tomorrow, he quickly said, "I don't think so." I started making protein poppers and started really contracting. I couldn't breathe, they hurt, and I was shaking. Evie said "Poppy Rae is coming to play" it wasn't until she said that, that I realized I was in labor. At this point my contractions were 3 to 5 minutes apart. I called my doctor and said I was coming in. I was laughing and so nervous at the same time. I called Spencer, luckily he answered, and told him to meet me at the hospital because I was in labor. He sounded shocked and said he would be there as soon as he could. I called my dad to have him meet me at the hospital to take Evie, but he ended up driving me as I could barely speak on the phone.
I finally arrived at the hospital and it was obvious I was not feeling well, the lady at the front desk was so slow to check me in and what seemed like forever, I was back in Triage.
I was hooked up to monitors and the nurse was shocked how close my contractions were together and how composed I was. They weren't so much painful at this point, as there was so much pressure and no way for me to breathe through them. Of course my blood sugars were low and I was given ice chips with extra flavored snow cone syrup. I was not allowed to eat after this. My cervix was the same as it was when I was discharged on Tuesday morning. We waited a few more hours and my cervix went to a 2.5 and 80% effaced. I was having off the chart contractions. I couldn't breathe at all. At one point, Spencer was watching the monitor and kept saying, "Wow do you feel that, it was so high!" I laughed so hard because I was feeling them, but mostly in my back and not able to breathe. He felt bad because I wasn't given any pain meds at all. Finally the doctors and residents decided that this baby was going to be born that night. I was in  mostly active labor and it just made sense to let the baby come a few days early. I got poked 4 times before I went back for my c-section, that wasn't emergent, but not during normal "planned c-section times". They had to wait at least 7-8 hours since I had eaten food to take me back. Our sweet nurse came in several times to reassure me that everything would be okay, I was noticeably nervous and emotional. Finally she came in at 9 pm and said, "Kacey, let's go meet your baby!" We walked back to the OR and that is when I really started shaking. I checked my blood sugar and it was 69mg/dl. Too low to operate at that very moment. The anesthesiologist came in to administer my spinal block. My body took to it really well and I couldn't feel my legs seconds after I had it. Once I laid down, I couldn't feel from my chest down. At this point the anesthesiologist hooked up D500 (basically pure sugar and no water dilution) and started squeezing the bad to get my blood sugar up. 10 minutes later, it came up above 140mg/dl. I was numb, but shaking so bad (nerves? spinal block? Both?) that I couldn't get an accurate blood pressure reading, they had to do it the old fashion way and squeeze my muscle, luckily the anesthesiologist was a big guy and his hand wrapped around my bicep easily. They had put the formaldehyde on my belly, and I was like they are going to make me watch this (haha). At that moment, the MFM on call came in, the curtain went up, and he joyfully said, "Let's meet baby girl!"
For those of you who have not had a c-section, it's so weird. So weird. I was told what was happening every step (I requested that) and I can't even begin to have an accurate description of what it felt like. So I will try to describe it. As they cut into me, I could feel tugging and pulling, but no pain. Not even 5 minutes into surgery, The MFM said, "I see her shoulder, you are going to feel lots and lots of pressure and she will be out." (9:38pm) Sure enough, lots of pressure later, and more shaking for me, and almost breaking Spencer's hand, I heard her cry. I was so tired, mentally and physically, that I broke down and started crying myself. I wanted to see her so bad. Spencer was watching at this point and he was beaming. I know he was nervous because he doesn't do well with blood and guts, but he was so anxious to meet Poppy. He sat back down and was rubbing my face and holding my hand saying things I don't really remember. He was able to hold Poppy and I could finally see her. She was beautiful and it's like we had known each other from before. She calmed down as soon as she heard my voice. As I was being stitched up, we turned on Maroon 5 and everyone in the OR was singing, it was fantastic! They lowered the curtain, and I could see my legs, but they were not moving, seriously the weirdest feeling. I was transferred to a different bed and moved to L&D for monitoring. I was on cloud nine as I held Poppy and connected with her.
This is her birth story. Although having a c-section has been scary, emotional, and painful, I am so happy Poppy came into this world without any complications. She is perfect and so sweet. After Evie's birth, I was doubtful I would ever want to get pregnant again, I am glad I changed my mind because our family is now complete with our "Poppy Rae Rae" "Sugar Sugar" and "Baby sister"

Poppy Rae, October 25, 2019 at 9:38 pm, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 19 inches long


Time to get ready!




 First bath

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The journey of my new smile...

I felt like blogging about the journey of getting my new smile. Oh boy! It sure has been a long, painful, and exciting process. In May of  2000 I was riding my bike, like a big girl (I was 8) with a bunch of my siblings and cousins, to my grandma's church (which was just down the street from where she lives. Staying on the side of the road as instructed, there was a man hole cover that was not pushed down all the way. Being toward the back of the bike line I didn't notice that it was up about three or so inches. Everyone else had dodged it and went around it. I, going full speed to keep up went straight over it and flipped over my bike handle bar, bike still in hand I landed on my stomach. I got up, a little dizzy and discombobulated got up thinking that was pretty sweet that I survived that epic crash. I didn't know how bad it was until my sister Kelsey started screaming "Kacey! Kacey! You have blood running down your face!" I immediately put my hand to my face a

10 years going strong!

Friends! I am dedicating this post to my upcoming 10 year Anniversary with Type 1 Diabetes. I would like to share my story, for some it may make you cry, others it will hit home, and for some I know you will read the title and not get what you expected. But please I ask you to read so that you know where I stand. Ten years ago on August 5, 2003 my mom took me to see my Pediatrician. We went in there together and came out with news no one expects to hear. To be honest I thought it was a great way to get out of school, but after I received the news I would have taken school back. We went in not knowing what to expect, however everyone who knew me, knew that I was sick. I was in the 6th grade and lost 20 pounds in a short period of 2 weeks. I was literally a walking skeleton at less than 70 pounds. My cheeks were sunk in, the rose color that was naturally on my skin was gone, and there were dark circles around my eyes. I had no energy at all. To get up to my room (at the time) I had to

19 going on 20!!

Well, I'm super excited to no longer be a "teen"! Even though it's not that old, I feel old! So much has happened in 20 years. A little bit ago I have had the opportunity of where I was all by myself and I was flooded with memories. I have been through a lot but I believe that is was not to torture me, to make me cry or even hurt me. I believe that because of all the things I have gond through, I am the person I am today. I look back at who I was, just a year ago, oh how weak I was, getting hurt by silly things, crying for pointless things, and still... very childish. Although I will always be young at heart, I look at myself now, and see the exact oppostie. I am much stronger than I used to be both physically and mentally. Yes I still cry, but it's different now. I have had to grow up a lot over the last little bit, and I have never been more grateful. Recently I had a conversation with  a really good friend of mine. It made me realize, I'm pretty lucky! So