Skip to main content

Maui 2019

My little family just got back from paradise and I wanted to share some of the things we did. We booked our Maui trip at the end of September 2018. Little did we know that booking it when we did would be perfect timing for helping us feel peace after a miscarriage, growing closer together, and watching Evie experience new things. We saw many rainbows in Maui, and they sure had more meaning than just sun shining after the (many) many rainstorms during our trip.
We literally saw at least 5 or 6 a day


Plane ride (s):
This was Evie's very first vacation. When we told people we were going to Maui, and taking Evie, so many laughed and said, "Good luck," I am here to tell all of you doubters that it was very successful and we plan on taking her back there. Evie is a very busy baby. She hates to be carried (unless she's tired), she loves to climb, run, and you know... never sit still. I really was anticipating a really long flight both there and back. I packed all the tricks to help her keep occupied and then some. I found out that I packed too much, but I wanted to be prepared. Here is what worked for us. We got to the airport with plenty of time to spare so there was no rush. We took turns chasing her around the terminal right up until boarding. She was fussy when we made her stop but calmed down as soon as we took on the plane. We did take our stroller and gate checked that so we actually boarded pretty early. After we got acquainted with the plane, Evie was pretty good. For take off she was wide awake and fruit snacks worked great, no crying. Luckily this was nap time, so she fell asleep after reading a book. Her first nap was short. Her favorite things to do were, books, white board with marker, eraser, and small magnets. She also spent a huge amount of time (over an hour) with different stickers. Her favorite stickers were the window gel-like stickers. She went back and forth between our laps and put them on the trays. She wasn't too focused on movies, but did watch part of a few. She only had one melt down when I went to the bathroom, it was so funny! She did fall asleep for an additional 2 1/2 hours and slept all the way until we started to depart the plane.
On the way home, we took a red-eye from Maui to Salt-Lake. Although Spencer and I didn't get much sleep, Evie was an angel. She had loads of time to run around, and say hi to all of the fellow red-eye goers. She's a crowd pleaser. We boarded and I changed her into her pajamas and gave her a bottle and she was out before take-off. She slept the entire 6 hours and even lasted until we went to go pick up our checked bag, but then fell asleep in the car. I call both flights a win-win.
This is just after we boarded our first flight


Onto our trip. Luckily Spencer and I had been to Maui before so we did a bunch of "couples" things before this trip. We didn't feel like we were missing out on the big things. We did completely different things this time around and hardly spent any money on attractions. I am here to tell you, Maui is so fun with kids. Next time we might try to convince a few other people to go so we could have someone to watch Evie while we go snorkeling, but this time we just took turns, which was just as fun. We stayed in Kihei, and it was a perfect central location to everything we did. In fact, most of where we ate was on the South Kihei Road, where we stayed. Kihei had beautiful beach parks and far less busy than Waliea or Lahaina.
Kamaole Beach Park at sunset (I can't remember if it was 1,2, or 3)


What to do: 
Beaches are free, some places might charge for parking, but there are ways around that. Some of our favorites this time around: Ulua beach, parking near the Fairmont there is a small free parking lot, it fills up fast and big cars are hard to fit in there but it's s fun family-friendly beach; good for snorkeling. We saw quite a few Sea Turtles on this beach! Black rock beach has great snorkeling, you can park for free at the Sheraton hotel in the SE corner, this fills fasts as there are only 10 or so spots there. This beach is located near Whaler's Village (shopping) that has a splash pad for kids and food. There is paid parking at the mall, but you can get validations if you shop/dine. We ventured out to Big Beach in Makena State Park. It was beautiful, and the first nice beach day we had. This beach was so big, and so quiet. There were hardly any people there. One thing about this beach, the waves are huge and there is a short break in the water. I didn't feel comfortable letting Evie near the water because they came up so high. However the sand she loved as it was so soft. We ventured up to Iao Valley (however if you're first time Maui goers, I highly suggest the Road to Hana, it's about an 8 hour drive with all the stops.) This wasn't far for us, there is a $5 parking fee. It's a short hike, and we finished in 30 minutes. It poured while we were there, but it seems to be always cold up there. Near the Iao Valley State Park, there is Maui Tropical Plantation. It is so beautiful there. It is free to walk around, they have so many cute shops there, and there is a train, but we didn't go on there. Every Saturday there is a Swap Meet (at Maui College), it is fifty cents to enter, free parking, and loads of local vendors. We like it for the food, but there are so many good deals for clothes and art. I also recommend the Maui Ocean Center. We did this our last day and it took about 2 hours with Evie and was a good distraction before our flight. This is pricy, but worth it. There are so many fun exhibits and Evie really like touching the Starfish and seeing the turtles. We had scheduled to go to a Luau, but because of all the rain, they called us and cancelled it. We were so bummed!!! Like I said most of these were free or of little cost beside the Ocean Center. Do it cheap, kids love the beach.

These are at Ulua Beach around 8 am


Black Rock Beach

Big Beach



Iao Valley State Park

Evie was having fun, but she was like a limp noodle in the carrier (top of hike)


Ulua Beach during the day (she literally rolled in the sand and pulled this face every time)



Kamaole Beach Park 1




Maui Ocean Center


Where to eat:
Kihei was surprisingly satisfying with the food! All of these we would go back again to eat at. Three's Bar and a Grill, we found an ALL Gluten free restaurant, the owner has Celiac and created an environment where even wheat eaters like it; it's called Maui Brick Oven, Fat Daddy's is a BBQ place that was delicious. For more sweet things, Maui Gelato is to die for (ever since Europe, I love love love Gelato). Ululani's Hawaiian Shaved Ice (multiple locations) is the best you'll ever have, and for yummy drinks, WowWow Aloha Hawaiian Lemonades is really refreshing although runs a bit pricy.
I can't recommend enough the Kula Lodge, it is cozy, pretty, and after watching the sunrise a perfect way to start your day. They have the best coconut syrup and banana pancakes!
At Whaler's Village in Lahaina, we really love Hula Grill (gluten free options here) and we tried Ono Gelato (see I love Gelato!). Also in Old Lahaina we ate at Lahainaluna last minute because our Luau was cancelled.
Near the Maui Ocean Center there are a few restaurants, but we really like Beach Bum's (we went there last time too)
We also went to WalMart and bought lunch things and breakfast things like oatmeal and yogurt so we weren't going out for every meal. We stayed at an Air BnB that had a fully equip  kitchen which was nice to have!
Get the fresh produce there, it is so juicy and yummy, the pineapple is a for sure must!

Pineapple Lemonade is a must!


Ululani's Shaved Ice: Snow Capped Sunset with Macadamia Nut Ice Cream




Other tips:
Wear the sunscreen. I promise you will get sunburned. I did so good this trip and re-applied every 80 minutes and I kept my burns that I usually get (2nd degree, easily, sometimes 3rd degree burns). Skin cancer isn't worth the dark, leathery skin look.
With Evie we did most of our beach time in the morning to early afternoon. She was ready to take a nap in the afternoon, in which we went back to our place we booked. She also would nap in the car.
Drink lots of water!
Baby powder really does help get the sand off!
Rent a car. Yes they have Taxi cabs, but you will have a much better time if you can get up and go whenever you want. A rental isn't that expensive if you think how much you pay an Uber/Taxi.
Eat lots of local food and try something new a each restaurant, you will be surprised!
There are chickens everywhere on Maui. Wild chickens just wander and flock to you. We learned to ignore them, but they are annoying.
If you do rent an Air BnB put all your food in the fridge or microwave. There are so many ants and other bugs they will cover and eat your food if not.
Watch the sunsets, it's so relaxing!

Anyway, Aloha! and Mahalo for reading about our Maui trip.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The journey of my new smile...

I felt like blogging about the journey of getting my new smile. Oh boy! It sure has been a long, painful, and exciting process. In May of  2000 I was riding my bike, like a big girl (I was 8) with a bunch of my siblings and cousins, to my grandma's church (which was just down the street from where she lives. Staying on the side of the road as instructed, there was a man hole cover that was not pushed down all the way. Being toward the back of the bike line I didn't notice that it was up about three or so inches. Everyone else had dodged it and went around it. I, going full speed to keep up went straight over it and flipped over my bike handle bar, bike still in hand I landed on my stomach. I got up, a little dizzy and discombobulated got up thinking that was pretty sweet that I survived that epic crash. I didn't know how bad it was until my sister Kelsey started screaming "Kacey! Kacey! You have blood running down your face!" I immediately put my hand to my face a

10 years going strong!

Friends! I am dedicating this post to my upcoming 10 year Anniversary with Type 1 Diabetes. I would like to share my story, for some it may make you cry, others it will hit home, and for some I know you will read the title and not get what you expected. But please I ask you to read so that you know where I stand. Ten years ago on August 5, 2003 my mom took me to see my Pediatrician. We went in there together and came out with news no one expects to hear. To be honest I thought it was a great way to get out of school, but after I received the news I would have taken school back. We went in not knowing what to expect, however everyone who knew me, knew that I was sick. I was in the 6th grade and lost 20 pounds in a short period of 2 weeks. I was literally a walking skeleton at less than 70 pounds. My cheeks were sunk in, the rose color that was naturally on my skin was gone, and there were dark circles around my eyes. I had no energy at all. To get up to my room (at the time) I had to

19 going on 20!!

Well, I'm super excited to no longer be a "teen"! Even though it's not that old, I feel old! So much has happened in 20 years. A little bit ago I have had the opportunity of where I was all by myself and I was flooded with memories. I have been through a lot but I believe that is was not to torture me, to make me cry or even hurt me. I believe that because of all the things I have gond through, I am the person I am today. I look back at who I was, just a year ago, oh how weak I was, getting hurt by silly things, crying for pointless things, and still... very childish. Although I will always be young at heart, I look at myself now, and see the exact oppostie. I am much stronger than I used to be both physically and mentally. Yes I still cry, but it's different now. I have had to grow up a lot over the last little bit, and I have never been more grateful. Recently I had a conversation with  a really good friend of mine. It made me realize, I'm pretty lucky! So