Skip to main content

Evelyn is ONE!

Now I know throughout life we all endure "life changing" events. First love, first kiss, graduating high school, break-ups, starting and graduating college, getting engaged, and getting married, etc. Yes all are life changing, in many different ways. All bring their rewards and all bring different challenges. For me the biggest life changing event thus far in my life is by far giving birth to my sweet Evelyn Rue. It is a day I hope to never forget, as it truly did change my life and shaped me into someone I had no idea I needed to become. It has been one year since my rough labor that brought her to us. It has been one year of growth (for me and Evelyn), one year of laughter, tears, and more. I thought I could make time freeze, but time laughed at my request and said "No way," So this blog is going to be different compared to my other blog posts. This blog is for my Evelyn, Evie girl, Evie Sweetie, Evie Rue, E, baby girl, sweetie, honey, sweet girl, sis, little miss, sister friend, stinker bum, and any other nickname we've called you this last year.
My Sweet Evelyn, 
It brings tears to my eyes thinking that a whole year has passed by that you made our family a trio. I can't even begin to describe how much love and laughter you have brought into our home. You have made such an impact in my life it is palpable. I wanted to take you down memory lane as you will never remember the day you were born. Boy I sure will.
Daddy and I at the time were living in Salt Lake City, very close to the University of Utah Hospital, where you were delivered. So the night of September 18, 2017 (you were actually born on the 19th, but I still want to say the 18th when asked to confirm your birthday) we called the L&D department to confirm my induction was still on schedule. Sure enough it was and what felt like forever, our "long" five minute drive landed us checking in to start our long journey of labor. I had mentally prepared myself for a lengthy labor as everyone and their dog told me that it would take at least 24 hours plus before you decided to come and meet us. Daddy helped my overly large body change from my too tight leggings and over sized t-shirt to the baggy hospital gown, kissed me as he helped me plop onto the bed.
We both were nervous and all of the nurses made us laugh and told us everything would be okay. After going over several options on how to induce labor we settled for pitocin and balloon option. The first sweet nurse told us both to relax and sleep because we had many long hours ahead of us. Sure. I thought let's sleep. I really did have no idea how painful this whole thing would be. I had a solid hour of sleep before contractions were full speed and dilation had begun. The first couple of hours were so hard on me. I did not sleep. Luckily Daddy was able to get in a few hours before I woke him up. With a combination of throwing up and having low blood sugars, my labor was in full swing. I had several doses of pain medicine, which made me throw up even more. However, since I dilated so quickly (from a 1 to a 6) within 2.5 hours, your poor little heart could not handle it. I was given shots to slow your heart rate. I had to wear an oxygen mask for the next 5 hours. After the magical epidural was placed I could relax a bit. I don't remember much right after it was placed. Grandma (my mom) arrived just in time and I started pushing 30 or so minutes after she arrived. So here are some things that I remember after that.
I remember that it felt like time had just flew by. (From arrival at the hospital to your birth it was 11 hours).
I remember my OB/GYN (Dr. Clark) almost didn't make it and the Resident on staff was about to deliver.
I remember Daddy getting really nervous when they brought in the tray with all of the tools to deliver.
I remember watching the monitor and not blinking when I saw your heart go into distress.
I remember being all tingly and sweaty.
I remember the oxygen mask getting tangled in my hair.
I remember my first push and thinking WTF  (sorry, but it's the truth!) I can't do this. How in the world were you going to come out?!?
I remember after a few pushes and really strong contractions a whole team of OB's came in.(Along with two Pediatricians, a Respiratory Therapist, a few more nurses, a MA, and a few more people)
I remember Daddy not looking down "there" but looking me straight in the eye with every push, saying, "Good job babe. Keep going. You are so strong." The whole time smiling and not trying to pass out (which he never did).
I remember Grandma feeding me ice and stroking my sweaty hair reminding me to breathe in between pushes.
I remember Dr. Clark telling the nurse to turn off the monitor and saying, "Okay Kacey this is all you now, listen to your body and push with all of your might with each contraction."
I remember the team of OB's gawking at your full head of dark hair
I remember pushing so, so hard and finally your head was out.
I remember watching Daddy's face when the Chief Resident exclaimed there was a pop. Later I found out that Daddy heard the pop and that was your arm.
I remember at that very second a team of doctors, nurses, MA's, and more jumping on top of me to push my belly and open my legs wider to get you out.
I remember that last push and you were out and you were not crying.
I remember the quick seconds you were on my belly blue as blue and limp.
I remember Daddy cutting the cord and you were whisked away.
Finally I heard you cry. You cried baby! You were alive! They swaddled you up and placed you on my chest and I immediately fell in love. It was the most spiritual moment I have yet to experience. You were meant to be here and there were angels in that delivery room cheering for you. The doctors had to take you away shortly after that to evaluate your arm. Daddy went with you and provided me updates. We received news that you had broken your humerus (straight break right in the middle) and separated your clavicle (shoulder dystocia). You also had extremely low blood sugars. We tried my hand expressed colostrum (liquid gold), gel, and finally had to settle on an IV.

Here are some other things I remember about this day.
I remember holding onto you so gently as your poor arm just lay there in half.
I remember the Pediatrician in training manipulate your arm to get it into a onsie. You let out a scream so painful; everyone in the room was holding back tears. If I could go back in time I would have spoken up and asked to have your arm wrapped first before going into the onsie.
I remember not wanting to let you go to have the nurses fail four times to get an IV in (they tried your head, left hand, and right hand twice... it ended up in your right hand)
I remember the bloody mess when my catheter was finally removed (thank goodness I had such a sweet nurse) and slipping into the grandma mesh underwear that I would learn to love over the next week. 
I remember everyone who came right after you were born
I remember all of the messages, phone calls, and cards that we got that day.
I remember the immense amount of pain that I felt once the nurses started to push on my belly to prevent clotting. 
I remember a few hours after you were born, and after your IV was in, Daddy wheeled me to the Nursery for special temporary care.
I remember the nurses helping me tape a tube to my nipple to start you on supplements to help get your blood sugar up. They also helped me figure out how to hold you correctly with your broken arm.
I remember going in to hold you every three hours when they did a heal poke to test your blood sugar. Of course I went in as often as I could between that, even into the late night. 
I remember when your eyes caught mine and at that very moment, I could feel that our connection would be strong over the years. I knew you knew who I was. I knew you had a very special soul, one that would teach me so many lessons. 

Evelyn, you are the sweetest little spirit. I have never been so grateful to have a full understanding of Heavenly Father's plan and how we will be together forever. Yes you have given us a run for our money, but you are worth it! Your laugh and smothering loves are the sweetest. I don't know how such a big spirit can fit into such a tiny body. Your ability to learn and grow has been so rewarding to watch. So my dear, I hope that you keep your spunk and sweet love you have shown us this last year. I hope you continue to grow healthy and learn much. I hope that you will always know that Daddy and I will love you more than sleep, which is a whole lot! I hope you will remember your value and divine nature in which you hold. I hope you will remember that you are going to go far in this life. 
We love you baby girl! Happy 1st Birthday! 

All my love, 
Mommy


(The arm they are touching is the broken one. They are trying to help E's shoulder here.)

(This is after E had her first bath and how her arm should have been wrapped the first time)

Fresh from Heaven



ONE



So my friends, Go forth and do!
If you want to read Evie's actual birth story, I have linked it here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The journey of my new smile...

I felt like blogging about the journey of getting my new smile. Oh boy! It sure has been a long, painful, and exciting process. In May of  2000 I was riding my bike, like a big girl (I was 8) with a bunch of my siblings and cousins, to my grandma's church (which was just down the street from where she lives. Staying on the side of the road as instructed, there was a man hole cover that was not pushed down all the way. Being toward the back of the bike line I didn't notice that it was up about three or so inches. Everyone else had dodged it and went around it. I, going full speed to keep up went straight over it and flipped over my bike handle bar, bike still in hand I landed on my stomach. I got up, a little dizzy and discombobulated got up thinking that was pretty sweet that I survived that epic crash. I didn't know how bad it was until my sister Kelsey started screaming "Kacey! Kacey! You have blood running down your face!" I immediately put my hand to my face a

10 years going strong!

Friends! I am dedicating this post to my upcoming 10 year Anniversary with Type 1 Diabetes. I would like to share my story, for some it may make you cry, others it will hit home, and for some I know you will read the title and not get what you expected. But please I ask you to read so that you know where I stand. Ten years ago on August 5, 2003 my mom took me to see my Pediatrician. We went in there together and came out with news no one expects to hear. To be honest I thought it was a great way to get out of school, but after I received the news I would have taken school back. We went in not knowing what to expect, however everyone who knew me, knew that I was sick. I was in the 6th grade and lost 20 pounds in a short period of 2 weeks. I was literally a walking skeleton at less than 70 pounds. My cheeks were sunk in, the rose color that was naturally on my skin was gone, and there were dark circles around my eyes. I had no energy at all. To get up to my room (at the time) I had to

19 going on 20!!

Well, I'm super excited to no longer be a "teen"! Even though it's not that old, I feel old! So much has happened in 20 years. A little bit ago I have had the opportunity of where I was all by myself and I was flooded with memories. I have been through a lot but I believe that is was not to torture me, to make me cry or even hurt me. I believe that because of all the things I have gond through, I am the person I am today. I look back at who I was, just a year ago, oh how weak I was, getting hurt by silly things, crying for pointless things, and still... very childish. Although I will always be young at heart, I look at myself now, and see the exact oppostie. I am much stronger than I used to be both physically and mentally. Yes I still cry, but it's different now. I have had to grow up a lot over the last little bit, and I have never been more grateful. Recently I had a conversation with  a really good friend of mine. It made me realize, I'm pretty lucky! So