Skip to main content

Merry Christmas

Family and Friends! We want to wish you a very Merry Christmas! Time to do a year in review-

I cannot believe that this year is coming to a close. As I reflect on the many, many blessings we received, a lump starts to form in my throat. At the very beginning of 2017, (January 15th to be exact), we found out we were pregnant. I never knew that becoming a mom would be the most challenging, most rewarding  gift I would ever receive. I will always treasure 2017 as my favorite because a new life (Evelyn's literal meaning of her name is LIFE) was brought to us. For the duration of my pregnancy, I was very blessed and never received bad news from my OB. Evie was (if you follow me already, you know this!) so healthy and set the bar high for her future siblings.

January 2017: The first two weeks of the year, both Spencer and I were really sick. We had colds, the flu, fevers. We were so nice to each other and bounced this sickness back and forth. Funny thing, looking back, I believe I was mostly experiencing the early plantation part of pregnancy. After those two weeks of misery, we experienced our miracle of a positive pregnancy test. Thus began my "nine month flu". We even ventured out to the Ice Castles up in Midway. PS Spencer started growing a beard!

(This is the day we found out we were pregnant and celebrated at Waffle Luv)



February 2017: I was sick all of February. Every type of food was a turn off. This month... we got to see our little one. For the first time since our miscarriage, I was at peace with everything that was going on in my life.

March 2017: We went forth with genetic testing and found out Evie was so healthy. We also splurged on us and booked our 11 day trip to Europe. Toward the middle of this month is when I finally started to fill better and get cravings. Spencer presented his Thesis to his committee and rocked it.



April 2017: The day before my birthday we found out Evie was a girl. I had convinced myself I was having a boy until that point. I remember going out on a date that night and Spencer picked out her very first outfit. We kept it a secret for a solid two weeks, which was so hard!



May 2017: Spencer graduated from the University of Utah with his Master's in Electrical Engineering, with honors. We also had the time of our lives in Rome, Cannes, and Paris. I hope I can always remember this trip. It was incredible. While on our trip we hit half way in our pregnancy, and the belly officially made an appearance. Unfortunately, I got a very painful bladder infection, that luckily healed quick. Spencer got offered a full time job at L3 Technologies (Communications).




June 2017: Even though I was more than half way, we went on several hikes. It was so rewarding to be able to be healthy and energized! I started, with the help of friends, re-doing a crib for Evie. We even went camping, which was pretty fun!




July 2017: We went to the Real vs Manchester game and decided we wanted to become season ticket holders. I was struggling with the heat, I swear it was the hottest summer I can remember. I finished the crib... red to white!! I also had two baby showers one hosted by my co-workers and one by my cute ward here in Salt Lake, and learned how much Evie was loved already. We also found out that she was starting to get big but so was I. We endured the Zoo, even though it was a million degrees!




August 2017: Around this time I started going in twice a week to be evaluated (Non-stress tests and OB visits) We welcomed our cute little niece Hadlie Mae (she is the who is 6 weeks older than Evie). We had maternity pictures taken out by the Great Salt Lake, they still make me feel beautiful. I had my third shower with my friends, and a fourth shower with my family. Evie girl was so spoiled! We also finished the nursery! Oh and we had mice, we ended up catching 5 or 6. Yuck! Our friends spoiled us and took us on the Sea Doos, which made Evie girl drop way low.







September 2017: Evie gave us our first scare where I thought I was in labor over Labor Day weekend. I had pretty strong contractions, but they did go away (obviously). Days and nights seemed to grow shorter as I was literally peeing every 45 minutes to an hour. This month... Evelyn joined us, making us a family of three. Even with her broken arm and all that happened, we were and still are over the moon with joy!
I look back and can't believe how big I got! Granted with this picture, I have several monitors strapped to my belly.

She was so chubby when she was first born! 

And her hair was so dark!

October 2017: Evie's arm healed and she started moving it like nothing happened. She had her first Halloween and as a family we dressed as the Ice cream Man (Spencer), and ice cream cones (Evie and myself). At the beginning of the month we had our first night of no sleep. By the end of the month, she was sleeping for 6 hour stretches at night. We became Real Salt Lake season ticket holders! We even took Evie to her first game.




(Melanoma Walk, my Dad is a survivor of skin cancer)
November 2017: Evie got her shots and started a new scream. Now it's so high pitched and loud when she gets upset! However she learned how to smile big and recognize us. She started sleeping 8 to  hours at night. We had our first Friendsgiving and started so many other traditions. Spencer got a pay raise. We made the decision to move, although I am not to thrilled, it will be better for us. We will truly miss our Sunnyside home.
(At my niece Hadlie's baby blessing)


My Grandpa Kevern. Evie is named after my Grandma LaRue Kevern

December 2017: I literally spent every day before my maternity leave was up watching Christmas movies. How did 12 weeks fly by so fast? We toured some Townhomes and houses, starting packing up our Duplex to start a new adventure, and started hosted an Ugly Sweater Party. Evie did so good with my neighbor who watched her for a while when I went back to work. I was proud, I only cried once!




We have had a wonderful year. 2017 set a high standard for 2018, but we are ready for a new start. We are truly grateful for all that 2017 has brought us and have seen the Lord in our lives. May all of you have a fabulous and Happy New Year! 
Go Forth and Do! 
The Shiveley's


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The journey of my new smile...

I felt like blogging about the journey of getting my new smile. Oh boy! It sure has been a long, painful, and exciting process. In May of  2000 I was riding my bike, like a big girl (I was 8) with a bunch of my siblings and cousins, to my grandma's church (which was just down the street from where she lives. Staying on the side of the road as instructed, there was a man hole cover that was not pushed down all the way. Being toward the back of the bike line I didn't notice that it was up about three or so inches. Everyone else had dodged it and went around it. I, going full speed to keep up went straight over it and flipped over my bike handle bar, bike still in hand I landed on my stomach. I got up, a little dizzy and discombobulated got up thinking that was pretty sweet that I survived that epic crash. I didn't know how bad it was until my sister Kelsey started screaming "Kacey! Kacey! You have blood running down your face!" I immediately put my hand to my face a

10 years going strong!

Friends! I am dedicating this post to my upcoming 10 year Anniversary with Type 1 Diabetes. I would like to share my story, for some it may make you cry, others it will hit home, and for some I know you will read the title and not get what you expected. But please I ask you to read so that you know where I stand. Ten years ago on August 5, 2003 my mom took me to see my Pediatrician. We went in there together and came out with news no one expects to hear. To be honest I thought it was a great way to get out of school, but after I received the news I would have taken school back. We went in not knowing what to expect, however everyone who knew me, knew that I was sick. I was in the 6th grade and lost 20 pounds in a short period of 2 weeks. I was literally a walking skeleton at less than 70 pounds. My cheeks were sunk in, the rose color that was naturally on my skin was gone, and there were dark circles around my eyes. I had no energy at all. To get up to my room (at the time) I had to

19 going on 20!!

Well, I'm super excited to no longer be a "teen"! Even though it's not that old, I feel old! So much has happened in 20 years. A little bit ago I have had the opportunity of where I was all by myself and I was flooded with memories. I have been through a lot but I believe that is was not to torture me, to make me cry or even hurt me. I believe that because of all the things I have gond through, I am the person I am today. I look back at who I was, just a year ago, oh how weak I was, getting hurt by silly things, crying for pointless things, and still... very childish. Although I will always be young at heart, I look at myself now, and see the exact oppostie. I am much stronger than I used to be both physically and mentally. Yes I still cry, but it's different now. I have had to grow up a lot over the last little bit, and I have never been more grateful. Recently I had a conversation with  a really good friend of mine. It made me realize, I'm pretty lucky! So