Skip to main content

Our Sweet Baby Girl

Family and Friends, it is with great excitement and joy that I am about to introduce you to our sweet baby girl. Please enjoy this, as our hearts our bursting with love and happiness! This is a long post, but I needed to document!

At age 8 I thought I was invincible until I flew over my bike handles and had my right front tooth go through my top lip and my left front tooth cracked in half, resulting in 20 or so stitches and a huge surgery years later.
At age 11 I thought I was brave until I was rushed to the emergency room at Primary’s and given the diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes, changing my life forever,
At age 17 I thought I knew what love was until I experienced my first heartbreak.
At age 19 I thought was being realistic working two jobs while in school full time, trying new things and having fun, until I failed my first college course.
At age 24 I thought I was strong until I lost my first baby for unknown reasons.
At age 25 I thought I knew what it was like to be happy until… I held my baby girl for the first time. I was over the moon with joy and really knew what it was like to experience true happiness. I may still be young, but to understand what it feels like to become invincible (child birth), to actually show braveness (blood, needles, and pain), to have your heart grow 100 times its original size and pour out love to someone I just met (skin to skin, watching Spencer become a dad for the first time). To come to the realistic realization that we made a human that is our forever. To have the strength to endure 9 months of being pregnant with an organ that doesn’t work (pancreas), to carry that babe for 9 months, and to push a baby out. That is what motherhood is all about. Learning to grow, to nurture your children, to fall in love (again) with your spouse. This is what I am excited about and I can only pray that Evie girl will understand one day.

The last days:
They were tough, emotional, and long. I had many (painful and the kind that take your breath away) contractions leading up to the induction date that made me believe E was coming, but she was just playing tricks on us. Especially on the evening of Friday the 15th. When they eased up after a good 45 minutes, Spencer bought us tickets to the Real Salt Lake game for the next night. I honestly didn't know if E would come before that or not, but really, really wanted one last date night with Spencer before E came. Most of Saturday I was real lazy. I did the laundry, went to Wal-Mart to get a few last minute things, and Spencer and I installed the car seat. It all seemed surreal until the car seat was in. It suddenly became cold here in Utah, something I've waited for my whole last trimester. I realized that wearing flip flops wouldn't work because it was really chilly. Spencer helped me squeeze my sausage-like feet and ankles into some boots, it was funny how it took both of us to get them in there. It actually wasn't too bad until I took them off and saw the lovely marks left in their place. We made it to the game. While walking to the stadium from where we parked, I had very painful contractions. The game was pretty intense, and I tried hard not to jump up and down. As much as I wanted to go into labor on my own, I wanted so much more to enjoy our last few days as just us. Our whole life was about to change, and it suddenly hit me and  I wanted to bottle up the feelings of love and compassion that we were sharing. On Sunday, I went to church (all three hours). I don't know how I made it through because I was pretty uncomfortable, but am glad I did. That night I spent it with family, wearing the only thing that fit... sweat pants and a T-shirt :). We laughed and played for a few hours. I also received a beautiful blessing to help provide some comfort and peace as I was getting way nervous. It really did help and am grateful I was with family our last full day of just us. Monday... how crazy! I woke up after I tried sleeping between contractions and going to the bathroom. I went about my daily routine, and even went to get the oil changed in the 4 Runner. I finished packing my bag and added warmer clothes for the baby to come home in. Then I kind of just sat and watched a bunch of movies as more contractions were starting to happen. Spencer had decided to go into work so that he could take more time off of work when E made her appearance. When your induction time is scheduled at 8 PM, it does make for a long day. Surprisingly, it went by rather quickly. When we confirmed our time and that there was room for us we headed to the hospital, for the last time as just Spencer and Kacey. Ready or not here we go! 

Is this really happening?
The actual birth story I will share in another post, at a later time. When I first saw our little baby, I couldn't help but smile and cry. My sweet mom was in there with us and she was a huge support. Spencer was awesome and was so sweet when we could see her. I have never seen someone so in love with a baby. From her first heal prick, to her first x-ray, to her first dirty diaper, he was there. He has taught me so much and I am so excited to be on this journey with him. I keep having to pinch myself. This is real, and we have been incredibly blessed. Even though she is in a ton of pain with her broken humerus and separated clavicle and her bruised heals, she is a trooper and has taught me how to be brave in trial. My Mamma heart broke when I found out it was a clean break. Baby E is such a good baby and our little miracle baby. On her first night home, she was a dream. She slept for periods of 4 hours before we bugged her to try and get her to eat. She only ended up eating twice in the middle of the night and only cried when we changed one of her diapers (stupid cold house!) Anyway, we are in love, so, so in love. We are truly grateful for her and the spirit she has brought with her. Her name fits her just right. Evelyn means life, her middle name Rue is after my Grandma Kevern. She has brought so much life into our lives and she looks so much like my Grandma Kevern. 

Welcome to the world sweet Evelyn Rue Shiveley born Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 8:39 am at the University of Utah Hospital. She weighed in at 8 pounds 4 ounces, 20 1/2 inches long.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The journey of my new smile...

I felt like blogging about the journey of getting my new smile. Oh boy! It sure has been a long, painful, and exciting process. In May of  2000 I was riding my bike, like a big girl (I was 8) with a bunch of my siblings and cousins, to my grandma's church (which was just down the street from where she lives. Staying on the side of the road as instructed, there was a man hole cover that was not pushed down all the way. Being toward the back of the bike line I didn't notice that it was up about three or so inches. Everyone else had dodged it and went around it. I, going full speed to keep up went straight over it and flipped over my bike handle bar, bike still in hand I landed on my stomach. I got up, a little dizzy and discombobulated got up thinking that was pretty sweet that I survived that epic crash. I didn't know how bad it was until my sister Kelsey started screaming "Kacey! Kacey! You have blood running down your face!" I immediately put my hand to my face a

10 years going strong!

Friends! I am dedicating this post to my upcoming 10 year Anniversary with Type 1 Diabetes. I would like to share my story, for some it may make you cry, others it will hit home, and for some I know you will read the title and not get what you expected. But please I ask you to read so that you know where I stand. Ten years ago on August 5, 2003 my mom took me to see my Pediatrician. We went in there together and came out with news no one expects to hear. To be honest I thought it was a great way to get out of school, but after I received the news I would have taken school back. We went in not knowing what to expect, however everyone who knew me, knew that I was sick. I was in the 6th grade and lost 20 pounds in a short period of 2 weeks. I was literally a walking skeleton at less than 70 pounds. My cheeks were sunk in, the rose color that was naturally on my skin was gone, and there were dark circles around my eyes. I had no energy at all. To get up to my room (at the time) I had to

19 going on 20!!

Well, I'm super excited to no longer be a "teen"! Even though it's not that old, I feel old! So much has happened in 20 years. A little bit ago I have had the opportunity of where I was all by myself and I was flooded with memories. I have been through a lot but I believe that is was not to torture me, to make me cry or even hurt me. I believe that because of all the things I have gond through, I am the person I am today. I look back at who I was, just a year ago, oh how weak I was, getting hurt by silly things, crying for pointless things, and still... very childish. Although I will always be young at heart, I look at myself now, and see the exact oppostie. I am much stronger than I used to be both physically and mentally. Yes I still cry, but it's different now. I have had to grow up a lot over the last little bit, and I have never been more grateful. Recently I had a conversation with  a really good friend of mine. It made me realize, I'm pretty lucky! So