Skip to main content

Shiveley Christmas 2015

Merry Christmas one and all! This is one of my most favorite times of the year, and for those of you who know me, know I take a ton of pictures. So I decided to not spam your Facebook feed or Instagram feed with all of my pictures. So this is why I am blogging, to share more than I already have!
December is always a crazy time of the year, and as usual goes by way too fast. Soon it will be 2016, and boy do we have a lot in store for us. So what have we done this December?
-We started it off by doing lots of preparing for end of the semester, and both of us going back to school by saving money, applying for new jobs/promotions, and enjoying the time we could spend with each other. One tradition we have started and hope to keep up is going to the Festival of Trees. This year did not disappoint and I loved reading all of the stories about the trees that were donated. This tradition holds a special place in my heart as all the proceeds go to Primary Children's Hospital. Every year I go, I have to take time and reflect on the time that I spent there when I was diagnosed with T1D and the amazing staff they have.

-We went to Zoo Lights with a couple in our ward, I love Christmas lights! Even though it was freezing, it was still fun! We also had an amazing Ward Christmas Breakfast, and I had the opportunity to sign up to make a breakfast casserole. Thanks to my Mom's recipe, it was a hit and all of it was eaten.

-Finally got our very first Nativity Set (thanks to my kind Mother-in-law!) It's not much, but we don't have room for a bit one yet. It turned out perfect if I say so myself. (Vinyl and then put on tile)


-We hosted our very first Shiveley Holiday party! It was a huge success! We love all of our friends who traveled near and far to spend an evening with us. How blessed are we to have such great friends to come party with us. Who knew a group of 4 boys  who played computer games and XBox live together would turn into a group of 8 and be life long friends! It was an Ugly Sweater themed party, with the best appetizers and hot chocolate bar. We played a few holiday themed games before we brought out the dirty games (aka Cards Against Humanity!). We laughed all night long, and even had a few tears because we were laughing so hard.
Ps for those of you who don't know, boiling water and putting in a crock pot totally keeps the water warm. You know for future parties!

Of course we had to get our Star Wars sweaters! PS we loved the new one!! 


-Spencer applied for a new internship and got it! We are both so excited for him to start and plus he will be right down the street from my work. This is an exciting opportunity that will give hims lots of experience for his schooling and future jobs and what a blessing it is for him to start. I was blessed with a promotion at my work, and will go from hourly to salary. We are both excited to officially start these positions. 

-We still have our Charlie Brown 3 foot tree but this year we got a few more Christmas decorations. 

-We went to Temple Square with Steph and Koltan to see the lights. This year there was snow and it was absolutely beautiful. We introduced them to our favorite restaurant T27. It was a great evening and got me way in the Christmas mood.


-My Mother-in-law treated us ladies to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas Performance. Uncle Brent got us killer tickets, right in the front(Thank you! We will never forget that night!). We even had the privilege of seeing a few General Authorities (one even sat right next to me for a brief moment! Talk about amazing!)

(Me, Savannah, Sam, Tamara)

-Keeping the tradition alive, my cousins, a few of the brothers-in-law, and the hubby and I went snowboading/skiing on Christmas Eve up at Brighton. It was so much fun! There was a ton of fresh powder and lots of Santas. I was determined to learn how to do toe side and spend the entire day going down the mountain backwards. I was incredibly sore, from a few falls (luckily I had my helmet for one of my falls) but mostly I thought my calfs were going to fall off. I must say, even though sore muscles were the result at the end of the day, I am much better, than the last few years but still terrible, if that even makes sense. I guess I need to go more than once a year to get over my fear of tipping over when I go toe side.


-Lastly both Spencer and I want to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. We love all of you and hope your year has brought you as much happiness as ours has. Yes this year has been hard for the both of us, but the most rewarding. We have learned so much, from each other and from ourselves. What great way to wrap up the year than to thank our Heavenly Father for giving us his son, our Savior to give us the many opportunities and blessings we can enjoy on this Earth. We have so many friends but didn't send a card to everyone, so use this as your card if you didn't receive one (not because we don't love you, but because stamps are so expensive)
Remember my friend, Go Forth and Do! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The journey of my new smile...

I felt like blogging about the journey of getting my new smile. Oh boy! It sure has been a long, painful, and exciting process. In May of  2000 I was riding my bike, like a big girl (I was 8) with a bunch of my siblings and cousins, to my grandma's church (which was just down the street from where she lives. Staying on the side of the road as instructed, there was a man hole cover that was not pushed down all the way. Being toward the back of the bike line I didn't notice that it was up about three or so inches. Everyone else had dodged it and went around it. I, going full speed to keep up went straight over it and flipped over my bike handle bar, bike still in hand I landed on my stomach. I got up, a little dizzy and discombobulated got up thinking that was pretty sweet that I survived that epic crash. I didn't know how bad it was until my sister Kelsey started screaming "Kacey! Kacey! You have blood running down your face!" I immediately put my hand to my face a

10 years going strong!

Friends! I am dedicating this post to my upcoming 10 year Anniversary with Type 1 Diabetes. I would like to share my story, for some it may make you cry, others it will hit home, and for some I know you will read the title and not get what you expected. But please I ask you to read so that you know where I stand. Ten years ago on August 5, 2003 my mom took me to see my Pediatrician. We went in there together and came out with news no one expects to hear. To be honest I thought it was a great way to get out of school, but after I received the news I would have taken school back. We went in not knowing what to expect, however everyone who knew me, knew that I was sick. I was in the 6th grade and lost 20 pounds in a short period of 2 weeks. I was literally a walking skeleton at less than 70 pounds. My cheeks were sunk in, the rose color that was naturally on my skin was gone, and there were dark circles around my eyes. I had no energy at all. To get up to my room (at the time) I had to

19 going on 20!!

Well, I'm super excited to no longer be a "teen"! Even though it's not that old, I feel old! So much has happened in 20 years. A little bit ago I have had the opportunity of where I was all by myself and I was flooded with memories. I have been through a lot but I believe that is was not to torture me, to make me cry or even hurt me. I believe that because of all the things I have gond through, I am the person I am today. I look back at who I was, just a year ago, oh how weak I was, getting hurt by silly things, crying for pointless things, and still... very childish. Although I will always be young at heart, I look at myself now, and see the exact oppostie. I am much stronger than I used to be both physically and mentally. Yes I still cry, but it's different now. I have had to grow up a lot over the last little bit, and I have never been more grateful. Recently I had a conversation with  a really good friend of mine. It made me realize, I'm pretty lucky! So