Skip to main content

Something Borrowed, two people very happy, and a beginning of forever!

Well friends and family the moment we've all been waiting has arrived! Life has brought me such joy that I couldn't help but share. I will apologize, things will get ooey gooey and I will probably share more pictures and others things about my updated relationship status. But hey... I am in love so give me a break okay?? I am sure you are all dying how the engagement happened, so grab a snack, sit back, and relax (it's okay if you tear up, love stories always get to me too). This is from my point of view, so it's only what I know :)

How it all began:
April 2012 I got a new job at the Rec Center in South Jordan as a front desk staff employee. I was working nights at the time and really loved what I was doing. I started to get to know other employees that worked the same shifts as I did. A few months into my working, I noticed that there were a few life guards that I thought were really cute, but I worked the front desk... they were life guards. Slowly I began to talk to them and I knew most of the lifeguards (Spencer being one of them). Doing my job, I would greet everyone with a hello and a smile. Little did I know, Spencer had his eye one me. As school ended for that semester I began to hang out with the other front desk girls. Cierra Bell, Emily Peterson, Spencer, and myself  (sorry if I forgot anyone) had arranged to go to a Bee's game, but for some reason I bailed. Strike one of meeting this mysterious lifeguard who I found to be quite good looking. A few weeks later a bigger group from work had arranged to go bowling. Chance had it that Spencer and I ended up being on the same table competed for the win. First of all I am terrible at bowling, so it was embarrassing and I lost... by a long shot. The night wouldn't end there. We then went to Leatherby's, as we tried to carpool, Spencer ended up squooshed next to me. At Leatherby's is where I actually found out who Spencer was, we sat next to each other and enjoyed our ice cream. Then us girls made the boys do a little "Just Dance" competition. I was quite surprised how in to dancing Matt Waters and Spencer were. After getting home around 2 am, I didn't realize that this hang out would turn into much more.
A few weeks later I was closing at work and was closing my till out when Spencer dropped off the pool keys. I was trying to make small talk and wanted to see how he was doing. It didn't last long before he left the facility. He left, walked out and the door was shut! Shortly after he left, Spence came back in. He started to play with the papers at the front desk, he played with the phone, and finally started talking to me. He asked if I would be interested in going out on a date with him this weekend. Unfortunately I had made plans and couldn't. I gave him my schedule and he said it would work out. I felt so bad! I gave him my number and he called me a few days later seeing if we could go out on a Tuesday after work. Yay we had set up a date! We started to get to know each other through texting up until our first date, which was about a week later.

The first date:
Spencer picked me up after he taught the scouts on Tuesday September 18, 2012. I was nervous because he told me we were going rock climbing. I had never been rock climbing... but this was the first date... I had to dress to impress. Being the girly girl that I am, I didn't wear the right attire, but I wanted to impress him. When we got there, we found out that the credit card machine was broken and that they were only accepting cash at the time. We decided to go to an ATM to get cash. On our way to the ATM we thought we could try mini golf at Mulligans. We got there and they had stopped sales just 20 minutes prior, dang it. We finally got to the ATM and made it back to go rock climbing. There wasn't a moment of silence, we literally talked the whole time. I was terrible, skinny jeans are not for rock climbing. After that he wanted to go get ice cream, I suggested a few places. We decided to go to Dairy Queen, when we got there we found out that it was closed... it had closed just 15 minutes prior to us driving up. So McDondald's it was! As we pulled out of the parking lot Spencer's car had a freak out moment and the horn started going off. I tried so hard not to laugh, but I kept it in because I didn't want to make him feel more awkward. After getting our smoothies we made it back to my house. I am not going to lie I became very interested in Spencer that night and couldn't wait for our next date!

The next little bit we started hanging out more, talking more, and even started to fall in love. These months are months that I will forever cherish. We became an official couple on the ski lift up in Brighton on January 3, 2013. Spencer asked with such care and has been my best friend since. In November 2013 we started talking heavily about getting married. The more we talked about it the more excited we became. We kept it to ourselves though. At this point I realized Spencer was my life and he knew everything about me. I knew at this point that one day we would end up together forever.
As the winter months continued, I decided to go to a bridal showcase in January just for the fun of it with my twiner Kelsey. We had loads of fun and even got free things! I had set up some appointments to try on dresses. I know I jumped the gun, ha ha we hadn't even set up a time to get married. The first place I tried on dresses, I found the one that I wanted. I bought the dress, when I told Spence he knew that I was serious about being married. We talked about rings and everything, it was actually quite exciting. A few weeks later, Spencer and I were talking and his mom had asked if we wanted to use her mom's ring. We both are struggling college students, so the idea of not having to get a ring right now was very tempting. I felt very humbled and told Spencer I loved the idea of using his grandma's ring. Remember this was in January. Toward the beginning of February we were out on a date and we set a date. Honestly only my family knew and a few friends. It was crazy but my mom was on board and helped me gather ideas. I started to brainstorm and it became addicting. I am a planner, and yes by my birthday in April I had basically everything planned, with the exception of a photographer, florist, and a cake decorator. We decided to tell our families the plans. It was quite funny how happy they were and how everyone wanted to help plan. We weren't even engaged!

Falling more in love:
Everyone kept bugging us on when it actually was going to happen... I honestly had no idea and am guilty for bugging Spencer about it. I knew he had a ring... what was taking so long? But he followed my wish of not having a really long engagement. Spencer has been wonderful as I talk his ear off about wedding things! As I look back I realize he has been there for every single thing for me.Our majors are very different, but honestly I am grateful that we had so many study dates in the library and in the labs up in the Engineering buildings. It's comforting to know I will be married to the smartest Electrical Engineer out there.
On April 19 I became very ill and little did I know that this sickness would take me through a roller coaster of ups and downs from the flu to a wicked sinus infection. Almost two weeks later I was still not better. Spencer and I went to a movie and as he was dropping me off I had a breakdown. I laugh now about it, but my man just held me and let me cry. He kept saying, get better by Friday and I promise your week will be made. No I didn't catch on, didn't even phase me.

The Engagement:
Spencer the sweetheart that he is, wanted to celebrate my graduating college. He told me he wanted to take me to The Grand America Hotel for breakfast. I fought with him and said no we don't have the money for that, I said I would be fine if we went to Denny's. He insisted that we go to The Grand America, he said we couldn't go to Denny's to celebrate a thing like this. I caved in ha ha. He kept pushing the time up for when he would pick me up. When he said he was going to pick me up at 7:15 am, I was confused... we didn't have to be up to my graduation until 10:45 am!
I should back up for a minute. My nieces came over on Tuesday, and Donald my brother-in-law asked if I would watch them while he picked up Lindsey from work. As soon as Donald had left, Brooklynn came up to me and started to play with my hair. She said, "Kacey..... did you know Spencer came over last night?" She giggled and said, " You weren't here! So he left without you!" It took me a minute to register what she had told me. When it hit me I jumped off the couch and said, "Brooklynn... what did you say?" Brooklynn explained that he talked to grandpa (My dad) and left without me. I literally died! So I knew something was coming soon. However, my cute little niece is three, she has quite the imagination, did I believe her? Yes... but how true was her story??
Anyway, Spencer picked me up on Friday morning so that we could have breakfast. We got to the cafe and with our jaws to the floor we were stunned by how beautiful it was! We went to the buffet to eat and enjoyed the plentiful meal that was prepared. I always love having little talks with my man, we probably were the loudest ones in that room... oops! After breakfast Spencer suggested we catch the train to Temple Square. I thought it was because I had mentioned how I love Temple Square around springtime. We caught the train, all I wanted to do was see the tulips, so I was walking fast. Spencer was taking his time and embracing the moment. We walked around the where the reflection pond sits and what a site! We continued walking over by the little stream near the Joseph Smith Memorial building. Before I knew it had said he wanted to ask me a question and he was on one knee. Ahhh! He was right! This totally made my whole week! I just started laughing and gave him the biggest hug and kiss ever. Then it hit me... I get to marry my best friend, my partner in crime, my backbone, my EVERYTHING! I am so lucky to have met Spencer and fall more in love with him everyday! I literally could not stop smiling or looking at my left hand! We both were extremely happy!
We are excited to announce that we will be married and sealed together forever in the Salt Lake Temple on Thursday, October 9, 2014. This day cannot come fast enough. Thank you for all of your support,  happy wishes, and congratulations! Only 160 more days until I become the Mrs. to my Mr.!!!!!! Let the countdown begin!

Comments

  1. Such a great post. I still think you are giving me the bird. Beautiful ring.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The journey of my new smile...

I felt like blogging about the journey of getting my new smile. Oh boy! It sure has been a long, painful, and exciting process. In May of  2000 I was riding my bike, like a big girl (I was 8) with a bunch of my siblings and cousins, to my grandma's church (which was just down the street from where she lives. Staying on the side of the road as instructed, there was a man hole cover that was not pushed down all the way. Being toward the back of the bike line I didn't notice that it was up about three or so inches. Everyone else had dodged it and went around it. I, going full speed to keep up went straight over it and flipped over my bike handle bar, bike still in hand I landed on my stomach. I got up, a little dizzy and discombobulated got up thinking that was pretty sweet that I survived that epic crash. I didn't know how bad it was until my sister Kelsey started screaming "Kacey! Kacey! You have blood running down your face!" I immediately put my hand to my face a

10 years going strong!

Friends! I am dedicating this post to my upcoming 10 year Anniversary with Type 1 Diabetes. I would like to share my story, for some it may make you cry, others it will hit home, and for some I know you will read the title and not get what you expected. But please I ask you to read so that you know where I stand. Ten years ago on August 5, 2003 my mom took me to see my Pediatrician. We went in there together and came out with news no one expects to hear. To be honest I thought it was a great way to get out of school, but after I received the news I would have taken school back. We went in not knowing what to expect, however everyone who knew me, knew that I was sick. I was in the 6th grade and lost 20 pounds in a short period of 2 weeks. I was literally a walking skeleton at less than 70 pounds. My cheeks were sunk in, the rose color that was naturally on my skin was gone, and there were dark circles around my eyes. I had no energy at all. To get up to my room (at the time) I had to

19 going on 20!!

Well, I'm super excited to no longer be a "teen"! Even though it's not that old, I feel old! So much has happened in 20 years. A little bit ago I have had the opportunity of where I was all by myself and I was flooded with memories. I have been through a lot but I believe that is was not to torture me, to make me cry or even hurt me. I believe that because of all the things I have gond through, I am the person I am today. I look back at who I was, just a year ago, oh how weak I was, getting hurt by silly things, crying for pointless things, and still... very childish. Although I will always be young at heart, I look at myself now, and see the exact oppostie. I am much stronger than I used to be both physically and mentally. Yes I still cry, but it's different now. I have had to grow up a lot over the last little bit, and I have never been more grateful. Recently I had a conversation with  a really good friend of mine. It made me realize, I'm pretty lucky! So