Skip to main content

Just like that!!

Friends! I have been in the best mood lately! I have many people and things to thank because of my happiness! I would start a list but I am afraid that would bore you. I will save my big "Thank you speech" for when I am rich and famous and get to be in the spotlight (which if you know me.... is the last thing I want to be in). Anyway things have happened and just like that I now know why I have been going through some of the things I have been. Sooo.... if you're ready, I am going to share a long story. Sit back, grab some snacks, and enjoy! (if you have heard this story before, I do apologize)

Almost ten years ago I was in the 6th grade feeling pretty awesome that I was in my last year of Elementary school. The first week flew by, however I got super sick and missed a few days of school because of it. I lost a lot of weight and literally was a walking skeleton. I looked super sick, it was like I was a ghost. The pink in my cheeks was gone, I constantly was going to the bathroom, and always drank water. I felt when I drank the water that someone was sucking it right out of me. My mom was very worried and took me to my doctor. After a physical exam, some blood work, and a finger prick, I was told some very awful news. At that very moment my mom was to drive me to Primary Children's Hospital and take me straight to the E.R. I was eleven. This is not the news you want to hear, really at any time of your life They were explaining to my mom that I had developed a chronic disease called Type I Diabetes. What? I had what? Seriously I had no idea what was going on. Of course I started to cry.My mom was crying pretty hard as we drove up to Salt Lake. I remember sitting in the car being so confused and I literally was in shock. My mom called my family to let them know what was going on. Still I did not understand the severeness of what I was told. As my mom and I slowly walked in the E.R. I was greeted by a team of doctors, nurses, and even my dad was there. They rushed me into a room and laid me on a table. At this point I had to go to the bathroom again, and felt super sick. My doctor calmed me down and had me laughing in no time. I felt so cool, I got to have an I.V put in... first time! After that my wonderful Daddy and caring Uncle Roger, gave me the best Priesthood blessing. I don't remember all that was said but I do remember that they blessed me to carry on with my life with my heart full of joy and that nothing would bring me down if I kept my focus on my Heavenly Father. I felt much better after that.

I was then taken to another room where I learned what was really going on. I was told that when they tested my blood sugar, it was 891 mg/dL. I learned that this was because my pancreas had shut down and that the beta cells in my body were no longer producing insulin, which balances out the glucose in my body. This is why I felt super sick and was dehydrated and lost so much weight. After a week of staying in the hospital and learning how to take shots, test my blood sugar, and tricks to make it easy, I was a bit overwhelmed. I thought, "Why me!" I had no idea how this moment in my life would help put me on a path to guide me in the direction of where I needed to be right now. I often felt like this was a punishment and usually felt remorse of even surviving. It was hard, real hard at times. However, I never let it get to me. I thought of it as a blessing in disguise.

Over the first few years of having this disease I was able to go to a youth diabetes camp, where I met many great people. I became very close to my doctor and my nurse. Because of this relationship we shared, I was given many opportunities to help others who are going through the same as I was. I was able to be in a huge research on how this disease can change throughout the years of adolescence. I loved doing this, but again was confused on why I was chosen to be in it. Later, I was referred to be a Camp Counselor at Diabetes Clubhouse for four years in a row. Wow! This was such a neat experience. I met little kids as young as three who were struggling with diabetes. I learned how to help make these kids understand their importance and give them hope for their future. I was able to become close with these kids and watched them grow as they came back each summer. Little did I know that I was meant to do this to help me with my future endeavors.

While in the process of deciding on which college to go to, I was very confused, because many schools offered great, great programs. I prayed and prayed for an answer, and finally one day it came. I received a Top Ten Scholarship for the University of Utah. Ah-ha my first step to understanding. When I first started college I was a Health Promotion Major, but I had no idea what I was going to do. Time and time again things pointed to same direction... Community Health. I sat down with my counselor and after talking with her, I had a better idea of what I wanted to do. I applied for my major and then I took a leap of faith and prayed that this was the right thing to be doing. Sure enough, within three days of applying, I was accepted. Second step to understanding. Once I was accepted, I went through many wonderful trials to help me understand what I needed to do. One thing I knew to be true, I loved helping others, I find it comforting to help others understand steps they need to take to better their lives. I was able to help make nutrition plans for various people who are very close to me. Third step to understanding. Going through my classes during Fall Semester things came easy to me and I loved what they introduced to me. Fourth step to understanding. My counselor is very good at sending out any internship/volunteer work via my Umail. I received this one email about the Juvenile Diabetes Walk Internship. I didn't know much about it, so I started to do some research. I fell in love with the program they were implementing. So... I applied. A few days later I received great news that they wanted to interview me. there were many applicants, but they wanted to narrow it down. I felt super good about what I was about to do. So after a few re-scheduled times because of the snow, I finally had a set day on my interview. I went in and was very nervous. As I met the Director of JDRF and the Manager of Special Events, ironically I became very calm. They were just talking to me and wanted to get to know me. After about 15 min of talking they informed me that they wanted me on their team. I was one out of four interns who got it! I was thrilled! Step five to understanding!!!!

I will be an advocate for the Kids Walk for Diabetes. I will go around Salt Lake County to different schools helping building awareness about both types of diabetes. These kids will have the opportunity to understand how crucial this information is and how valuable the money will be for this foundation. I am so so so excited to do this. I know that the things in my life have led up to this point. I finally will be doing something I have strong passion for. So... Let's get walking... For the cure! I love it! Friends Heavenly Father is aware of your needs and will help you get and stay on the right pathway. I have a strong testimony that things will work out and this is where I am supposed to be! I love it!

GO FORTH AND DO!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The journey of my new smile...

I felt like blogging about the journey of getting my new smile. Oh boy! It sure has been a long, painful, and exciting process. In May of  2000 I was riding my bike, like a big girl (I was 8) with a bunch of my siblings and cousins, to my grandma's church (which was just down the street from where she lives. Staying on the side of the road as instructed, there was a man hole cover that was not pushed down all the way. Being toward the back of the bike line I didn't notice that it was up about three or so inches. Everyone else had dodged it and went around it. I, going full speed to keep up went straight over it and flipped over my bike handle bar, bike still in hand I landed on my stomach. I got up, a little dizzy and discombobulated got up thinking that was pretty sweet that I survived that epic crash. I didn't know how bad it was until my sister Kelsey started screaming "Kacey! Kacey! You have blood running down your face!" I immediately put my hand to my face a

10 years going strong!

Friends! I am dedicating this post to my upcoming 10 year Anniversary with Type 1 Diabetes. I would like to share my story, for some it may make you cry, others it will hit home, and for some I know you will read the title and not get what you expected. But please I ask you to read so that you know where I stand. Ten years ago on August 5, 2003 my mom took me to see my Pediatrician. We went in there together and came out with news no one expects to hear. To be honest I thought it was a great way to get out of school, but after I received the news I would have taken school back. We went in not knowing what to expect, however everyone who knew me, knew that I was sick. I was in the 6th grade and lost 20 pounds in a short period of 2 weeks. I was literally a walking skeleton at less than 70 pounds. My cheeks were sunk in, the rose color that was naturally on my skin was gone, and there were dark circles around my eyes. I had no energy at all. To get up to my room (at the time) I had to

19 going on 20!!

Well, I'm super excited to no longer be a "teen"! Even though it's not that old, I feel old! So much has happened in 20 years. A little bit ago I have had the opportunity of where I was all by myself and I was flooded with memories. I have been through a lot but I believe that is was not to torture me, to make me cry or even hurt me. I believe that because of all the things I have gond through, I am the person I am today. I look back at who I was, just a year ago, oh how weak I was, getting hurt by silly things, crying for pointless things, and still... very childish. Although I will always be young at heart, I look at myself now, and see the exact oppostie. I am much stronger than I used to be both physically and mentally. Yes I still cry, but it's different now. I have had to grow up a lot over the last little bit, and I have never been more grateful. Recently I had a conversation with  a really good friend of mine. It made me realize, I'm pretty lucky! So