Skip to main content

I've walked the distance!

Friends, family, and everyone in between! Again, it has been too long since I have blogged, and so much has happened! I hope all is going well with everyone. I have been thinking about what to write about, and for a long time I couldn't think of anything. I felt like I needed to write something inspirational and awesome and profound. But... nothing was coming to my mind, and I felt like my brain had shut down. Finally I found something to write about... so I hope this makes sense and don't jugde me for saying this!

I have a thing for shoes.... I love trying them on, I love looking at them wishing I could have more than I do, when I find a good pair, I do buy them. When I find a pair I really like, I say..."Ewww look at these, I so need them!" I have never bought a designer pair of shoes, the only pair of shoes that I have spent more than $30 on are all of my tennis shoes, which consist of two pair of pumas (white, and pink), I love these shoes! Also, my absolute favorite shoes in the world, my Nike, bright purple, neon green, and black tennis shoes. I do have to admit, I splurged on all of those. I am saving up for another pair of Nike shoes.... hopefully soon I will be able to get them. I had to count all of my shoes, and I thought I  had more, but I only have 44, which still is a lot. Compared to most guys, whom only have tennis shoes and church shoes ha ha. I have a large variety of shoes. From flip-flops to boots, the bottom of my closet is filled with memories and adventures I have been on.
As I went through my shoes, I began to think how many memories I have made over the years, and the miles upon miles I have walked/ran/skipped/slid... They began to pour out and some made me cry, some made me laugh, and some made me ponder. I looked at my shoes, and I suddenly realized I had been so prideful about having so many shoes, so many options, and spending at least 20 min every morning fighting with myself about which ones look better, compared to which ones actually felt better. After realizing this, I began to change my mind about them. I am so grateful that I even have one pair. There are many many many children, even adults around the world who don't even own one pair of shoes. I have 44 and counting...
 One day, I will go on a humanitarian trip, and this is what I want to donate. Shoes. SHOES! How awesome would it be to see a child light up when he/she tries on that first pair of shoes. To protect their feet, to remember the journey they went through and the distance they have walked to experience the pleasures we take for granted. So, now when I am at the shoe store, I hope I can remember the children that have no shoes. I want to find organizations that help support to clothe children, and find shoes for them. Just by looking at my shoes, was such a humbling experience.
Now, I am not saying I will never but shoes again, because that would be a crime ha ha, but I am saying that I will think about it differently. I could donate the money I would have spent on those shoes I find myself drooling over to a shoe foundation... maybe start my own foundation! Ha ha this was just another answer to my prayer about why I am studying for the major I am in. Oh how this tender mercy has changed me!
Shoes... they do take you places, and go through many things. I don't remember my first step, and probably won't remember my last. But for each step I take, each hole I wear through the toe, each mile I run, and puddle of water I step in. I will be grateful for my shoes.I have been many places with all of my shoes! I am proud to say I have walked the distance! For each pair of shoes now has a special meaning and I am lucky to have realized that! So here's to all of the fellow shoe lovers! From playing in elementary school playgrounds, climbing mountains, jumping in puddles, going on late night walks, walking on campus, going to church..... I love my shoes, and I always will!

Here they are!!


Where have you gone? Have you walked the distance?
I love you all, remember, GO FORTH AND DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The journey of my new smile...

I felt like blogging about the journey of getting my new smile. Oh boy! It sure has been a long, painful, and exciting process. In May of  2000 I was riding my bike, like a big girl (I was 8) with a bunch of my siblings and cousins, to my grandma's church (which was just down the street from where she lives. Staying on the side of the road as instructed, there was a man hole cover that was not pushed down all the way. Being toward the back of the bike line I didn't notice that it was up about three or so inches. Everyone else had dodged it and went around it. I, going full speed to keep up went straight over it and flipped over my bike handle bar, bike still in hand I landed on my stomach. I got up, a little dizzy and discombobulated got up thinking that was pretty sweet that I survived that epic crash. I didn't know how bad it was until my sister Kelsey started screaming "Kacey! Kacey! You have blood running down your face!" I immediately put my hand to my face a

10 years going strong!

Friends! I am dedicating this post to my upcoming 10 year Anniversary with Type 1 Diabetes. I would like to share my story, for some it may make you cry, others it will hit home, and for some I know you will read the title and not get what you expected. But please I ask you to read so that you know where I stand. Ten years ago on August 5, 2003 my mom took me to see my Pediatrician. We went in there together and came out with news no one expects to hear. To be honest I thought it was a great way to get out of school, but after I received the news I would have taken school back. We went in not knowing what to expect, however everyone who knew me, knew that I was sick. I was in the 6th grade and lost 20 pounds in a short period of 2 weeks. I was literally a walking skeleton at less than 70 pounds. My cheeks were sunk in, the rose color that was naturally on my skin was gone, and there were dark circles around my eyes. I had no energy at all. To get up to my room (at the time) I had to

19 going on 20!!

Well, I'm super excited to no longer be a "teen"! Even though it's not that old, I feel old! So much has happened in 20 years. A little bit ago I have had the opportunity of where I was all by myself and I was flooded with memories. I have been through a lot but I believe that is was not to torture me, to make me cry or even hurt me. I believe that because of all the things I have gond through, I am the person I am today. I look back at who I was, just a year ago, oh how weak I was, getting hurt by silly things, crying for pointless things, and still... very childish. Although I will always be young at heart, I look at myself now, and see the exact oppostie. I am much stronger than I used to be both physically and mentally. Yes I still cry, but it's different now. I have had to grow up a lot over the last little bit, and I have never been more grateful. Recently I had a conversation with  a really good friend of mine. It made me realize, I'm pretty lucky! So