Skip to main content

Post-partum Fitness Journey

Hi friends and family! I hope you are all doing well and gearing up for the holidays. I just can't believe that Christmas is only what, 20 days away! Usually around this time of year I see so many people start to make new goals they want to obtain in the upcoming new year. I love setting goals and pushing myself to keep them. Most people set a fitness goal, which I am a firm believer of becoming stronger and being healthy (which is different for everyone) can help prolong life. So I thought I would share my fitness journey after having E.

When I got pregnant, I had been working out consistently, so working out during my pregnancy was actually quite simple and helped me bounce back faster. I made modifications throughout and ended up eliminating most ab workouts. While pregnant (except maybe the last two weeks) I worked out 3-4 days a week. I felt so good. Little did I know I would be swarmed with a self-conscious bug of how I looked after E arrived. I was never concerned about how much I weighed, but mostly how I looked. Spencer reassured me countless times that I didn't look different and that the stretch marks that consumed my hip bones and saggy skin that sat in my mid section were beautiful reminders of our miracle. Fortunately I was able to lose a good chunk of my "baby weight" in the hospital.

There are a variety of things that helped me feel like myself again. I knew that having a good routine would help me on so many levels. Spencer and I had passes to the nearby Rec Center and after Spencer would get home from work, we would go there almost every night. I wouldn't lift weights or even use equipment. I literally walked for miles those first 6-8 weeks. I would go on a morning walk with E in the carrier and then at night I would walk around the track for and hour or so. This was the best way to kick start my journey. I looked forward to going on these walks and noticed a difference in my attitude when I didn't. It was just what I needed. Combined with nursing, these two things were the only things I did to "lose weight" for 8 weeks. Slowly I began to incorporate other things. I went to a yoga class  and a Pilates class once a week, as well as my daily walks. I was so weak at first, but I could feel myself getting stronger, and more like me.

When I first did an Ab workout, it was so weird. You could still push so deep into my belly, so squishy. The best way to describe how it looked and felt was like silly putty when you push your finger into and an air bubble is formed. I could barely do a sit-up, but persistence is key. I would slowly (really slowly) add more abs into my workouts. It was hard work and I wanted to give up a lot. I thought I would never be back to where I was before. I kept comparing my new self to my old self and got so depressed. After a little hiccup of that, I was able to soon love the new body I had and was truly grateful that I was able to carry a baby, and develop a new, stronger, strength.  I had embraced my mom bod and although it was hard at first, I know that now I am a much better person for it.

When E was around 4 or 5 months, I discovered I had diastasis recti (separating of the abs). At this point, laying flat I could stick 2 fingers in between my upper abs and 2 1/2 fingers in my lower abs. All the ab workouts that I had been doing (planks, crunches, sit-ups, pretty much everything) I had to modify again. I was able to find Heidi Powell's YouTube video on the correct exercises to help correct the separation. I will link it here. I did these each time I exercised. At 13 months PP I checked my abs again and miraculously they had come back together, now being only a pinky width apart.When we moved to our home, we got rid of our gym passes and we started our own home gym. I love working out from home (especially when it meant I could workout whenever I wanted!). Up until a few weeks ago, I didn't use a single free weight. I did occasionally use E as my weight, but other than that, no weight except my body weight. We had purchased bands, a ball, and a bike, and for 9 months that is what I used. I was amazed how my muscles formed and how strong I became. In the summer months, Spencer and I would take Leo and E running and that was also fun. I Youtubed the crap out of no weight workouts and did some of my own stuff. I really liked Fitness Blender and Ideal Fit Trainer's workouts (they are actually pretty hard and really work!). I now can workout with high intensity cardio and feel good. Here's the trick, I never workout more than 35/40 minutes that's including warm-up and cool-down. Because I workout shorter, I push myself harder and it is magic. PS I threw away my scale and never get on one unless I am at the doctor's office. I then don't have to worry about a number to compare to.

Each fitness journey is and will be different. With diastasis recti it takes time to heal and sometimes you never do. One piece of advice for all of my mom friends going through this, DO NOT GIVE UP! It took me 13 months to heal, so don't expect results in a few months or you're just going to get defeated. Also don't push yourself. If you are tired (because what new mom isn't), then doing a 15 minute cardio push is okay. Try to make it fun or else you won't enjoy it. Some people like to do only yoga, personally I hate yoga so I can only do it once a week. I do a variety of workouts and mix it up each day. I always have a plan before my workout, I'm old school and write it out on a white board. I usually get distracted if I just try to wing it. I also us a timer so I don't over do it. Since I am at home now, I take advantage of E's naps and workout. When I was working I would workout after work, in front of E so I could also play with her. I am a completely different person when I decide to skip my workouts. I don't do it to be small or even impress people, I do it because a happy mom is a good mom.

Now, being healthy (or even wanting to lose weight) is not one sided. You can't just workout and expect a change. Nor can you just "diet" and see a lasting change. You have to eat healthy AND workout AND get sleep. Being skinny isn't always healthy and being big isn't always bad. You need to know your body and what is normal for you might not be normal for someone else. As I started my journey back to being me, food was a big part of it. This is my personal and nonprofessional opinion, so agree to disagree I guess. I hate diets. Like really hate diets, especially the ones that are huge cuts in calories, carbs, and natural sugars. Your body does not need to go on a diet. Your body needs moderation and a few modifications. I feel that diets are only temporary and unsafe because you cut so much out of your life. Yeah, they help you lose weight, but once you put back those things you took out, the weight is coming back. So unless you are permanently changing and modifying everything, don't go on a diet; unless advised by your doctor. For example, I have Celiac disease, so  forevermore I am going to be on a gluten free diet, because my body cannot tolerate or digest wheat.

While nursing, I had more cravings than when I was actually pregnant. I know my weaknesses so I made modifications and ate in moderation with smaller proportions. I never once went on a lower calorie diet to lose weight, in fact I eat... ALL THE TIME! I even eat sweets and treats (gasp!). I ate (and still eat) a bunch of protein because it curves my appetite. I ate grains (mostly oats and rice), Greek yogurt, chicken and most meats, cheese, cashews, almonds, and tons of veggies and fruits on the daily. Ice cream and chocolate, I always cave in and eat it, so instead of having it around in the house I don't buy it unless it's a special occasion. We usually go out for a treat and that makes it taste even better. That way I know I only have that much and won't go back for seconds. Food is always a tricky subject because everyone has their opinions about what's right. I feel it is important to reward your body, it never stops working so having a small bowl of ice cream (or insert favorite treat) now and then is not bad at all. Now, I am not saying to have a bowl of ice cream every night with all the goods, but don't kill yourself for wanting some. Make your menu for the week and plan different foods to eat each day (or at least every other day) so your taste buds don't get bored. Food is fuel. When you workout more, your body will need more food. If you're working out at high intensity you should not cut calories, at least not too many. As you workout you are gaining muscles, but if you are not feeding your body correctly then those muscles will not form.

My fitness journey is never ending and I always try to change it up so I don't get in the same routine (because that is where injuries occur). Becoming a mom has made me want to be strong and fit so I can keep up with my baby. It has been humbling too, forcing me to accept my faults and insecurities. It has also helped to workout with Spencer or at least have his support when we can't workout together, by not forcing me to do it, but encouraging me and saying: "Holy cow babe you look so good!" or "Please don't feel like you have to workout for me, because you are perfect!" or even "Well now I have to step up my game because you just beat me in a push-up contest." For us, as a couple it helps us become stronger and closer because we are seeing each other gain a new strength and overcome obstacles, I highly recommend it to anyone.

Anyway that was a lot of babbling. I have really enjoyed seeing my body morph into a new me. I am doing this for me and it really has helped my attitude. Please don't think I am sharing this out of vain. Know that it is to encourage you to find the best in yourself. I am passionate about the body and nutrition. I took quite a few nutrition classes in college because I thought I was going to be a dietitian, but in one class I took my Sophomore year, a phrase from my professor has always stuck with me.  "What you put in your body you will get out." Boy I find that more true than ever now. So as you create your goals for the new year, think about "dieting" and try to find little things to modify or eat in moderation and remember you are perfect just the way you are!

Go forth and be your own healthy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The journey of my new smile...

I felt like blogging about the journey of getting my new smile. Oh boy! It sure has been a long, painful, and exciting process. In May of  2000 I was riding my bike, like a big girl (I was 8) with a bunch of my siblings and cousins, to my grandma's church (which was just down the street from where she lives. Staying on the side of the road as instructed, there was a man hole cover that was not pushed down all the way. Being toward the back of the bike line I didn't notice that it was up about three or so inches. Everyone else had dodged it and went around it. I, going full speed to keep up went straight over it and flipped over my bike handle bar, bike still in hand I landed on my stomach. I got up, a little dizzy and discombobulated got up thinking that was pretty sweet that I survived that epic crash. I didn't know how bad it was until my sister Kelsey started screaming "Kacey! Kacey! You have blood running down your face!" I immediately put my hand to my face a

10 years going strong!

Friends! I am dedicating this post to my upcoming 10 year Anniversary with Type 1 Diabetes. I would like to share my story, for some it may make you cry, others it will hit home, and for some I know you will read the title and not get what you expected. But please I ask you to read so that you know where I stand. Ten years ago on August 5, 2003 my mom took me to see my Pediatrician. We went in there together and came out with news no one expects to hear. To be honest I thought it was a great way to get out of school, but after I received the news I would have taken school back. We went in not knowing what to expect, however everyone who knew me, knew that I was sick. I was in the 6th grade and lost 20 pounds in a short period of 2 weeks. I was literally a walking skeleton at less than 70 pounds. My cheeks were sunk in, the rose color that was naturally on my skin was gone, and there were dark circles around my eyes. I had no energy at all. To get up to my room (at the time) I had to

19 going on 20!!

Well, I'm super excited to no longer be a "teen"! Even though it's not that old, I feel old! So much has happened in 20 years. A little bit ago I have had the opportunity of where I was all by myself and I was flooded with memories. I have been through a lot but I believe that is was not to torture me, to make me cry or even hurt me. I believe that because of all the things I have gond through, I am the person I am today. I look back at who I was, just a year ago, oh how weak I was, getting hurt by silly things, crying for pointless things, and still... very childish. Although I will always be young at heart, I look at myself now, and see the exact oppostie. I am much stronger than I used to be both physically and mentally. Yes I still cry, but it's different now. I have had to grow up a lot over the last little bit, and I have never been more grateful. Recently I had a conversation with  a really good friend of mine. It made me realize, I'm pretty lucky! So